It seems to me the most “natural” thing in the world is an animal who tries to manipulate its environment to get what it wants. After all, it’s how they survive. That same animal will also look for ways to avoid what it doesn’t want. The former activates a mindset of creativity based on seeking a good thing; the latter activates a mindset based on retreat from something undesirable.
So as a trainer, I think it is a worthy goal to make my horse think I am totally fascinating because I keep finding ways for him to get what he wants. The challenge on my part is to set it up so he guesses what I want. THAT is where the click comes in, it adds precision and helps the horse guess more quickly. I like that and I know the horses like that!
Clicker Training Horses home
- The Beginning
- Reflections on the Stamford Expo.
- It’s all about shaping
- Are you teaching your horse to brace?
- SHAPING IS AN ARTFORM
- Trained to endure or trained to participate?
- Whips and carrots
- Saying Goodbye and reflecting on the good.
- The Ons and Offs of Mat training
- A closer look at food reinforcers
- Start Button Behaviors
- The gift of a lifetime